Mandatory evacuation plans will come from local officials. Evacuations will be based on zip codes. When the call comes, you need to be ready to evacuate.
Local officials make decisions to evacuate before a storm makes landfall. Hurricanes are extremely unpredictable and can become much more dangerous in a matter of hours. It is not safe to wait.
You can learn of evacuations through the following:
- Cable channel 16
- City website
- Connect CTY
- Local radio/tv stations
Should you choose to stay, please remember there are no shelters in Brazoria County. Also, please know emergency crews will be unable to assist you during the storm.
There are no mandatory routes you must take when evacuating from Lake Jackson. Please know the state will provide gas, water, and food on all designated evacuation routes (SH36, SH288, SH6, I45, 290, I10, etc.) If you choose to take alternate routes, essential services such as food, fuel, etc. are not guaranteed.
- Check on friends and neighbors who may have special needs.
- Coordinate your departure with the people who will be traveling with you. Notify an out-of-area person of your evacuation plans.
- Double check your evacuation route and leave.
- Keep your vehicle in good repair with a full tank of fuel.
- Prepare your disaster supply kit now and take it with you when you evacuate.
- Secure your home quickly; evacuate when asked to do so.
- Pack your disaster supplies kit into your vehicle.
If you do not have a car or other vehicle and you cannot get a ride with friends, neighbors or family, you may register in advance for a ride by dialing 2-1-1.